Write a 4-5 page paper in which you analyze a personal learning experience
Write a 4-5 page paper in which you analyze a personal learning experience based on theories of learning and cognition and formulate strategies to improve a learning situation in a provided scenario.
This assessment provides an opportunity for you to show how learning and cognition theories apply to real-world situations.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the links provided to view the following resources:
Click the link provided below to view the following multimedia piece:
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Slamecka, N. J. (1985). Ebbinghaus: Some associations. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 11(3), 414–435.
- Wenger, M. J., & Payne, D. G. (1995). On the acquisition of mnemonic skills: Application of skilled memory theory. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 1(3), 194–215.
- Herdman, C. M. (1999). Research on visual word recognition: From verbal learning to parallel distributed processing. Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology, 53(4), 269–272.
- Badets, A., Bandin, Y., Bouquet, C., & Shea, C. H. (2006). The intention superiority effect in motor skill learning. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 32(3), 491–505.
- Wilson, N. P., & Alexander, T. (2008). Blocking of spatial learning between enclosure geometry and a local landmark. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 34(6), 1369–1376.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the PSYC-FP3500 – Learning and Cognition Library Guide to help direct your research.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Terry, W. S. (2009). Learning and memory: Basic principles, processes, and procedures (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- You may find Chapters 6 and 11 particularly relevant to the topics in this assessment.
The focus of this assessment is on learning theories. Consider an experience you had when you learned something new. For instance, buying a new smartphone, updating the operating system on your computer, attending a seminar, or driving a car with a manual transmission for the first time are all examples of learning.
In preparation for this assessment, use the Capella Library to research three different types of theories of learning—for example, behaviorist theories, cognitivist theories, constructivist theories, or motivational theories. Think about how each can contribute to your understanding of how you were able to learn, or your understanding of the challenges you faced during the learning process.
For this assessment, complete the following:
- Describe the learning experience that you are focusing on. Make sure to elaborate on the learning goal(s) and any associated changes in behavior. Compare the behavior patterns before the learning event and what differences in thought, feeling, or behavior occurred after the learning.
- Briefly summarize three different learning theories. Cite scholarly articles to support your summaries.
- Explain how these learning theories can or cannot explain the progress that you made regarding your learning experience.
- Describe what insights you have gained from the theories that you can use to improve your learning process the next time you are faced with the challenge of learning something new.
- Consider the following scenario: Sam has just joined a basketball team and is new to the sport. He understands the rules but needs to learn the skills involved in the game. Using the theories you researched, develop two or three different strategies to teach Sam the skills of the game.
Strive to be as concise as possible and limit the length of your completed assessment to 5–6 pages of content, in addition to the title page and references page. Support your statements and analyses with references and citations from at least three resources.
- Include a title page and a reference page.
- Use at least three resources.
- Follow APA format.
- Note: You may use the APA Paper Template linked in the Resources. This resource is not required.
- Use 12-point, Times New Roman font.
- Double-space your paper.
Need your ASSIGNMENT done? Use our paper writing service to score better and meet your deadlines.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper