Reinforcement is the cornerstone of behavior analysis. How frequently (or not frequently) reinforcement is delivered has a large impact on how quickly one may respond. This is the case for all behavior. For example, someone who sells cars may be paid on a fixed interval schedule (every two weeks regardless of how many cars are sold) or fixed ratio schedule (100 dollars for every car sold). As you can imagine, based on the pay schedule, the response rate of car selling by the individual who is paid every two weeks, regardless of the number of cars, is likely to be much lower than that of the individual who is paid per car sold. This type of reinforcement schedule and rate of responding translates the same for when you may be teaching a client a skill. Choosing the appropriate reinforcement schedule allows us to support our clients in achieving those successes.
For this assignment, write a paper that includes the following:
- Describe the main types of reinforcement schedules (fixed interval, fixed ratio, variable ratio, and variable interval).
- Explain how each schedule works to evoke a behavior and the type of responding that results.
- Describe how you would use this information on response rates and reinforcement schedules to evoke a behavior in your personal or professional life.
- Analyze why you would choose a particular reinforcement schedule for that particular behavior.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: 2 scholarly or professional resources.
- Length: 4 double-spaced pages, excluding the title page and reference page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.