- Primary Discussion Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Watch the following videos:
Read the following article:
Using the articles and video as resources, address the following questions:
- Do you think businesses have an ethical obligation to support the needs of families? Consider issues families may encounter, such as doctor appointments, school conferences, and so on.
- Do you feel that both men and women should be given the same amount of leave for the birth of a child? Why or why not?
- Which ethical theories from your course readings (such as utilitarianism, the categorical imperative, and so on) best support your ideas and perspectives?
A minimum of 1 reference should be used to reinforce your thoughts. Be sure to include it both as an in-text citation and on your reference list at the end of your discussion post.
Peer Responses: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply, and consider the following questions:
- Do you agree or disagree with your classmate’s perspectives on gender and parental leave in the workplace? Why or why not?
Preston, C. (2015, September 11). Yahoo’s CEO lost her chance to rethink parental leave. Fortune. Retrieved from http://fortune.com/2015/09/11/yahoo-marissa-mayer-parental-leave/
TEDGlobal. (2013, June). Anne-Marie Slaughter: Can’t we all just get along? [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/anne_marie_slaughter_can_we_all_have_it_all?language=en
TEDxSMU. (2015, October). The US needs paid family leave – for the sake of its future [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/jessica_shortall_how_america_fails_new_parents_and_their_babies
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Unit 4 Discussion BoardPoint ValuesAddresses and discusses the relationship between businesses and families:
Includes and discusses relevant ethical theories from course readings:
Provides examples and perspectives that demonstrate understanding of issues:
Spelling, grammar, formatting, and use of sources:
Provides 2 substantial peer replies:
Areas of Improvement: