- In personal and workplace settings, conflicts inevitably occur. It is important that conflicts are resolved as soon as they are recognized. Conflict resolution styles, such as avoidance, competition, accommodation, compromise, and collaboration are used to address conflict situations. In the following scenarios, suggest the appropriate conflict resolution style(s). Explain your rationale for the choice and the anticipated outcome.
- Laura has planned to take a day off this week. Her supervisor Tara noticed that work demands will be high on the day of her request. She wants Laura to reschedule her day off with the promise to allow her flex time and leave as soon as the job is accomplished.
- Two talented but aggressive teammates want to show off their skills during a project meeting. One wants to take credit for the work he has done and the other tries to advance his ideas front and center. The team leader wants these two to work together well.
- A company picnic is being planned. Two subgroups are tasked to come up with a fun and enjoyable program for the employees and their families. One group has its own set of group activities while the other group leans more toward individual participation. At a recent communication meeting, the two groups have expressed their desire to work together.
- Responding to the rumor mill, Mary confronted Alyssa at a coffee break for spreading lies about her love life. Mary was relentless and fuming mad about the situation. Entering the cafeteria, coworker Latisha witnessed the entire argument.
- Mario who works as a front-line employee in a packing company is one of the most reliable in the group. One day, he received a phone call from his wife informing him that the babysitter for their two sons fell sick. He would have to come home because the wife must leave for work within the next hour. The line is short-staffed and supervisor Mark wants Mario to complete his duties.
The Portfolio Activity entry should be a minimum of 400 words and not more than 750 words. Use APA citations and references if you use ideas from the readings or other sources.