For this discussion assignment you will need to interview at least one member of the selected ‘out-group.’ Even if your IAT results showed no bias you must conduct this interview.
You must ask your interviewees the same set of questions (below). You must conduct your interviews in a respectful manner. During the interview, make sure you listen and think before you speak, imagine that a camera is recording your actions (would the recording portray you as humble, respectful, and empathic?), and project kindness onto your interviewee. You will NOT submit the full Q&A as part of the discussion assignment.
- What does it mean to you to be a member of this group?
- When and how did you become aware of your membership in this group?
- Do you believe there are stereotypes associated with your group? If so, what are these stereotypes, and when did you become aware of them?
- Have you been personally affected by prejudice, racism, discrimination, or bias as a result of being a member of this group?
- What suggestions can you offer to encourage mutual respect among various groups?
- What would you like others to know about being a member of your group?
After conducting your interviews, discuss the following. Keep in mind your IAT results related to gender from last week:
- What did you learn about your biases in this area from the interviews you conducted? If your IAT results did not indicate a bias, what did you learn about general biases toward your outgroup from your interview?
- What else can you do to help reduce and/or eliminate any biases you may have? If your IAT results did not indicate a bias, what can be done at a societal or cultural level to help reduce and/or eliminate biases toward this outgroup?
500 word count no more than 500 do not put the response to the interview questions only two question