- Diversity is a much broader term than it used to be. At one point in time, diversity referred to employees of differing genders, races, ethnicities, and cultures. Now, diversity refers to employees of differing ages, sexual orientations, physical abilities, geographic locations, religious beliefs, social economic statuses, and so on. It is no longer enough for leaders to simply promote tolerance; rather, leaders must continuously work to foster a culture of inclusivity. Doing so benefits all employees and creates an environment where differences can be leveraged to improve the competitive advantage of the organization.
In this Discussion, you will discuss the benefits of a diverse workforce and necessary competencies for leading a diverse workforce.
- Read Chapter 16 in the Northouse text and the article “Diversity as an Aspect of Effective Leadership: Integrating and Moving Forward.” Pay particular attention to effective leadership attributes, behaviors, and styles for leading a diverse workforce.
- Read the article “Latino Millennials—The New Diverse Workforce: Challenges and Opportunities.” Reflect on the predicted growth of the Latino Millennial workforce, the discrimination and adversity Latino Millennials currently encounter in the workplace, and specific leadership strategies to embrace and engage Latino Millennials.
- Read the article “The Business Impact of LGBT-Supportive Workplace Policies.” Consider how LGBTQ-supportive workplace policies benefit organizations, and think about how leaders can cultivate LGBTQ inclusivity.
- Read Chapter 18 in the Sage Handbook. Consider age-related stereotypes and empirically supported differences between different age groups in terms of work-related capabilities, work motivation, work performance, and occupational well-being. In addition, identify leadership strategies for motivating and retaining employees from different age groups.
- Identify two benefits of a diverse workforce and two leadership competencies for engaging diverse groups of employees, creating a culture of inclusivity, and leveraging the strengths of a diverse workforce. Then, consider specific strategies you would use to help develop a leader in those areas.
By Day 3
Post a response to the following:
Describe two benefits of a diverse workforce. Then, provide an argument for two leadership competencies you believe are essential to engage diverse groups of employees, create a culture of inclusivity, and/or leverage the strengths of a diverse workforce. Finally, describe specific strategies you would use to develop a leader in these areas, and explain why each would be effective. Be specific.