Corey, G. (2017). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy (10th ed.). Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning.
There are many different specialty areas within the field of counseling. When considering the counseling field for vocation, it is important to begin to explore the various areas of the field and potential avenues to get there. In addition, understanding the requirements (certifications, licenses, degrees) that are needed for each field is important when deciding which vocation is the best fit for you.
- Choose a particular area of counseling that you are particularly interested in or hoping to pursue after graduation. This could include any of the following (or you are welcome to run other ideas by the professor for approval prior to writing assignment):
- Marriage and family therapy
- Mental health counseling
- Career counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- School counseling
- Rehabilitation counseling
- Industrial/organizational psychology
- Forensic psychology
- Grief and loss counseling
- Educational psychology
- Art therapy
- Pastoral counseling
- Child counseling
- Health psychology
- Social work
- Your paper should include:
- a title page
- an introduction to the field you are interested in pursuing and why you think it is a good fit for you (personally, professionally)
- a brief history of the field (when/how/why it was created)
- the various requirements (education, certifications, licensure) that are required for the particular field
- necessary skills and qualities
- professional organizations that are affiliated with the specific field
- potential programs that might be a fit for you (organizations, schools for further education, etc.).
Assignment should be 5 full pages minimum to 7 full pages maximum in length (excluding cover page and reference page). Be sure to cite appropriate references. Assignment should be written in essay format. Please do not bullet point, but rather make your response flow from one section to the next in a cohesive manner.