Contact a treatment agency in your community. Set up a phone or in-person interview with the director or a counselor on the staff who provides clinical supervision. Use the following questions as a guide for your interview; however, feel free to use this opportunity to ask other questions you have about professional development:
- How long have you been working in this field?
- What makes you passionate about your work?
- What suggestions do you have for someone who is just starting a career in addiction counseling?
- How did you learn about clinical supervision?
- Being in a supervisory role, are there interpersonal dynamics that you find yourself paying attention to?
- What signs should a new counselor look for that would indicate the counselor should ask for help?
- What ethical dilemmas do you see most commonly?
- How can counselors avoid “burn-out” or compassion fatigue?
Write a 750-1,000-word paper describing your interview and what you learned, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Identify the person you interviewed, job title, and name of the agency.
- Given the interviewee’s responses, what model of clinical supervision most resembled the interviewee’s style of practice? Explain your answer.
- Describe the use of case presentation in the person’s agency.
- What did you take away from the interview that, if applied, would be a benefit to you both now and in the future, personally and/or professionally?
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.