Open DateJan 3, 2019 12:05 AMGraded?YesPoints Possible150.0Resubmissions Allowed?NoAttachments checked for originality?Yes
Week 5 Assignment: Terror Management Theory in Practice
Selecting a recent terror event, one occurring with the last five (5) years, examine the practicality of the terror management theory (TMT).
- In the opening of your work, provide an overview of the TMT, noting the critical aspects of the theory, to demonstrate a clear understanding of what the theory is and how it can be applied in various circumstances.
- Next, explore your selected terror event, discussing the ways in which the TMT might be applied to improving the understanding of the survivors’ coping and recovery following the terror event.
- In addressing the applicability of the TMT to the selected event, consider the survivors’ cognitive, social, cultural, and intellectual conditions as factors of influence that might skew perceptions of death and survival.
- Discuss, with detail and clear examination of the available scholarly resources, why these factors should be examined in the discussion and how, or if, they affect disaster behavioral health outcomes.
- As you wrap up your work, briefly discuss the appropriateness of the use of the TMT as it compares to other theories attempting to rationalize survivor thoughts and behaviors following terror events.
- Select a single theory upon which you will make the contrast, clearly identifying the foundational tenants of the theory, making a solid case for which theory is most appropriate.
Work should be submitted in a Word document (doc. or docx.) or other compatible word processing document, and be 4 to 6 pages in length, excluding the required title and reference page.
Scholarly sources should be cited both in-text and on the reference page of the submission. A minimum of two academic, scholarly sources are required to be cited in the work.
Submissions should be formatted per 6th edition (revised) APA standards. For assistance and resources on APA formatting style, please see the APUS Writing Center at Writing@APUS.
The Week 5 assignment should be submitted by SUNDAY of Week 5, NLT 11:55 pm ET to the Week 5 Assignment Link accessed through the Assignments Link on the left of the main course screen. The school Late Policy applies to all course assignments and can be found in the course syllabus.
Please see the assignment rubric for complete point breakdown and contact your professor with additional questions or concerns.
Defines and notes application of TMT
40 points possible
Student accurately defines TMT and provides appropriate, practical applications for TMT.
Student accurately defines TMT and provides appropriate applications; examples might have been further developed to demonstrate greater application in practical settings.
Student provides an acceptable definition of TMT, with no included application of the theory.
Definition and application of TMT were not included.
Identifies event and use of TMT to explain coping
40 possible points
Student identifies a specific terror event and the use of TMT to understand survivors’ process of coping. Details of individual differences are assessed to the extent that they affect the total behavioral health outcome. Quality resources and information are included to support the section.
Student identifies a specific terror event and the use of TMT to understand survivors’ process of coping. Minimal examination of the individual differences between survivors were noted and greater support would have enhanced the section.
Student identified a specific terror event; however, no further supporting information was included to provide context to the survivors’ coping process or the role of individual differences.
A specific terror event was not addressed and no supporting details were included to enhance the section.
Compares/contrasts TMT to other theories
40 possible points
Student includes a coherent, inclusive discussion in which TMT is compared to another theory examining survivor coping and response following terror events.
Student includes an adequate discussion in which TMT is compared to another theory examining survivor coping and response following terror events.
Student includes a discussion in which TMT is compared to another theory examining survivor coping and response following terror events.; however, many details providing context related to the best theory/approach in disaster response were lacking.
The discussion of comparison/contrast of TMT and a selected theory was absent from the work.
15 possible points
Work is presented in a logical and coherent way. Writing is clear, articulate, and error free.
Work is grammatically sound with a few minor errors.
Work contains frequent grammatical errors.
Significant grammatical errors within the work severely affect the readability.
15 possible points
APA formatting is complete, with all required elements identified in the instructions included within the work.
APA formatting is complete with some minor errors and/or exclusions of required elements noted in the instructions.
Work contains incomplete and inaccurate APA formatting.
Work contains no formatting.
150 possible points