Assignment 1: Political Impact
In this module, you learned about social class and sexual identity. Consider how political atmosphere impacts clients and how particular legislation (e.g., right to marry laws, minimum wage laws, and tax laws) impact these populations. Also, reflect on how a counselor would best advocate to assist these groups in obtaining a better quality of life. The third aspect to consider is whether those living in poverty and those identifying as members of a sexual minority are “invisible” minorities. For example, can a client who identifies as part of these groups hide his or her membership to the group from society so as to not experience discrimination? What is the impact of being able or forced to hide one’s identity?
In a minimum of 200 words, post to the Discussion Area your response to the following:
- Analyze how past and present political atmospheres influence clients who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Queer (LGBQ) or poor.
- Identify how institutional and social barriers impede access, equity, and success for these populations.
- Discuss whether you think it is the counselor’s responsibility to understand the political impact on clients or if you think that it is outside of the counselor’s scope of work.
- Discuss whether you think it is the counselor’s responsibility to advocate for political changes that support clients or if you think that it is outside of the counselor’s scope.
- Identify at least one way that counselors can advocate for the populations discussed in this module.
Support your rationales and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).
Be sure to read all of your fellow classmates’ original posts and respond to more than two of your classmates’ posts.
Your discussion posts and all written assignments should reflect graduate-level writing skills and appropriate use of APA style, including in-text citations and references.