In this discussion, you will explore the concept of public perception and the impact it has on the mental health field. By reading the Forbes article, Researchers Doubt That Certain Mental Disorders Are Disorders at All, you can see that perceptions regarding mental health shift on a metaphoric pendulum over periods of time.
For your initial post, address the following:
- The article notes that labels often define who we are and help us to determine what we are able to do. For argument’s sake, if the scientific community shifted from labels such as ADHD, anxiety, or PTSD to the definition of an individual’s response to the environment, how do you believe society would adapt to the change?
- In some cases, a diagnosis can provide individuals with a sense of relief. It gives them the opportunity to address personal issues with a clear treatment plan.
- What are the benefits of having labels for mental health disorders?
- What are some detriments of having labels for mental health disorders?
- How does the concept outlined in this article apply to any of the following programmatic themes? You may want to review the Programmatic Themes document.
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
- Go to google and copy this into search bar “Researchers Doubt That Certain Mental Disorders Are Disorders at All”
- Click on first article and that is what you can use to help .